Going abroad for surgery is also known as ‘medical tourism’. People often choose to go abroad for weight loss surgery because it can be less expensive than in the United Kingdom. If you are thinking about having surgery abroad then it is important to plan well in advance.
Some clinics offer a surgery package for patients based in the UK, making the surgery more accessible. A good surgery package will include travel arrangements and an aftercare programme based in the UK.
A good surgery package for patients in the UK might include the following offers:
- A well-reviewed surgeon and medical team
- Hospital bed
- Travel itinerary
- Plane and travel tickets
- Hotel for you and any family members
- Ground transportation to and from the airport, the hotel and hospital
- Administrative support with medical and travel documents
- A support line for you to contact if you need assistance
Before deciding on going abroad for weight loss surgery please check the provider is approved by the NHS Clinical Commissioning Groups and by your GP.
Please seek and follow the specific guidelines from your bariatric team. Guidelines vary for individual patient needs and surgeries.