The most important things to take into hospital are medical documents, money, medication, clothes, and something to read or listen to in recovery. Hospitals are busy places where items can get lost as patients are moved through wards. As a precaution you should leave behind any special items that could get lost or damaged, such as jewellery and fine clothes.
- Prescription medications (with clear instructions for quantity and dosage)
- Loose-fitting nightwear
- Dressing gown
- Loose-fitting clothes for the journey home
- Non-slip slippers
- Hair brush
- Hair ties/ bands
- Hair shampoo
- Shower gel
- Baby wipes
- Comfortable underwear (avoid tight or restrictive underwear)
- Underwire-free bra (sports bra)
- Lip balm/ Vaseline
- Peppermint tea bags
- Books or a Kindle
- Crossword or Sudoku puzzles
- iPod or tablet
- Hot water bottle
- Pillow to comfort you on your way home
- Mobile phone with charger (longer lead if available)
If you are staying in hospital for just one night then you only need the basics provisions. A pillow for the journey will help keep your stomach area comfortable.
Please seek and follow the specific guidelines from your bariatric team. Guidelines vary for individual patient needs and surgeries.